Monday, September 05, 2005

Me a Plumber?

10am :: We shall see. I'm going to attempt to replace the faucet in our bathroom now. It will involve a propane torch and solder. Hopefully I don't burn the row down. Stay tuned...

1:45pm :: I cut 2 copper pipes, removed 2 soldered elbows and soldered 2 valves into place. My wife helped me turn the cold water on while she watched the valve for leaks. So far, so good. I am not at all confident in my pipe soldering abilities. We will see how it looks after a few thermal cycles. I haven't turned the hot water back on yet.

8pm :: Both hot and cold water are on to whole house except the sink where I installed the valves and faucet. I used tub & tile latex caulk to seal the drain and faucet base. Yea, the directions said to use plumber's puddy but the puddy I found and bought said not to use it on plastic. Well, everything the faucet directions said to put puddy on was plastic (except for the sink surface) so I decided to use caulk instead. If it doesn't work out I will have to re-install the drain and faucet at the cost of another hour. Oh, the bummer is that we can't get the caulk wet for 36 hours. Wednesday morning will be the first we can use that sink with the new faucet. (tick tock)

over

1 comment:

Becky L said...

plumbing-- not so easy. in February (when i was on BED REST b/c of going into pre-term labor) we discovered that the toilet was leaking-- and had been for a LONG time. (see, the bathroom floor was carpeted; how stupid! so we never noticed it.) so, instead of calling the landlord, Andrew decided to fix it himself. we went to walmart (i went also b/c i needed to use a restroom!) to buy some parts. then, he PICKED UP the entire toilet. and of course, he needed help. so here i am, extremely pregnant, laying on my back (which is a NO-NO for pregnant women), holding a toilet over my head!
not an exciting time in the least. though it makes for an interesting story now.