Monday, October 10, 2005

BIRTHDAYS

The whole M~ family was here today to celebrate GreenBean's and my Grandma's birthday. GreenBean's birthday is this month but my Grandma's was last month along with my brother, P~'s (but we didn't celebrate his for some reason). We grilled marinated pork tender loin and chicken breasts. Yum yum; as GreenBean would say. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal so I feel good about that. It was kinda fun preparing to host.

M~ got a bunch of really nice gifts. Thank you to my family for the gifts for M~. They are super! My wife is glad for her to have new things to play with. It was good to see my grandparents again. I told GreenBean that she is lucky to have five great-grandparents still alive. What a blessing!

In thinking about the day I wish I would have looked at my grandparents more; to watch them and listen to them. I wonder how often I come across as dis-interested or oblivious. There were people I love at my house today, people I don't get to see very often. Was I a life giver? Did I connect with them, empathize, find out what they are going through? I'm asking here because I'm not sure that I was conscious enough this afternoon to, care? I mean, I wasn't thinking about them, others, I was thinking about me, mostly. I think I got too hung up on thinking it was very important that everyone in my family really enjoy the meal we ate. But then again, we were hosting and that is the job of the host but is it the most important? I remember Jesus' response to Mary, who had chosen to sit at his feet and listen, while the other Mary was very busy being a host.

I just heard a cricket that sounds like it is in my house. It is telling me to go to bed because it is Monday and I have to go to work in 7 hours.

BTW - The Pelican Brief is a great movie.